Mame’ Shimpaku Junipers

Here are a few super small mame’ Shimpaku Junipers for a bit of fun and a challenge to keep alive through our very hot summers here in Byron Bay. Some I keep in trays of gravel or coir/peat to keep them from drying out. One month in to Summer and so far so good…. no losses to report thank goodness.

The pot measures 2''x1.75''x.75'' deep and the tree 3'' high

The pot measures 2”x1.75”x.75” deep ¬†Tree 3” high x 3.5” wide from 2011 cutting.

Pot 3''x2''x1'' Tree 3.5'' tall x 4'' wide.
Pot 3”x2”x1” Tree 3.5” tall x 4” wide from 2011 cutting.

Round Pot 1.25'' x 1.25'' x .75'' deep. Tree 1''tall x 2'' wide

Round Pot 1.25” x 1.25” x .75” deep. Tree 1”tall x 2” wide from 2011 cutting.

Pot 1.25''x1''x.75 deep. Tree 2'' tall x 2'' wide from 2011 cutting.
Pot 1.25”x1”x.75 deep. Tree 2” tall x 2” wide from 2011 cutting.

 

 

Advertisements

Mega Swamp Cypress

Here is the latest addition to our bonsai family. The tree was only a couple of inches thick and about 4ft. tall when I put it in the ground approx. 6yrs ago. 3 days ago it was about 15ft tall. For some strange reason I thought it might be a good idea to dig this big guy out and do something with it. Current height 54ins, and the base is 21ins. Pot 38″x24″x7″…. A huge thanks to Chris White @ Red Dragon for getting me sorted for the pot, as the recycle tub I bought earlier was way too small. I did have a plan for the design before the dig, but now I see it potted up, I will be content to just look at it for the next year or two before any styling decisions will be made. Happy for you to throw out some though….be curious what you think. That’s a 15 litre bucket btw, for size comparison.
ImageImage
Quick encouraging update for this big baby of mine. Overall health of this tree seems to be on track with weekly seasol and fortnightly feeds of nitrosol or powerfeed. Budding has been generous considering the treatment its had. I’m also happy to report, all the super cuttings (2-6 ins. in diameter) are shooting as well. All will get this aftercare for some time, but for now I’m excited with the progress so far.
Oh…. the other Mega Swampy has been in a humidity tent since its dig. I have taken the tent off today and had a careful dig around the base and was pleased to discover some nice fine white feeder roots. It hasn’t thrown out any shoots as yet, but only time will tell if this monster will make it through the summer…..fingers crossed he takes after his happy relatives.

Image

Another ‘then & now’ update pic from today. I have started to slowly lower the 2 primary branches and as you can see by the comparison shot, that they have already come down quite a bit. Slowly but surely with this process. I have pruned back the original upper branches heavily, and with the explosion of shoots, have gently wired them down to the correct future angle. The apex has also put out 2 strong shoots right smack bang where I need them, and I will let the new leader bolt skyward for maybe 6-8ft, to start developing some upper taper. Everything is being done with great care and caution…. nothing too radical, and so far it is responding well to the feeding program of Powerfeed/Seasol combo full strength applied every 2 weeks. I have done some careful exploration around the base and I’m finding beautiful new strong healthy red roots the thickness of a pencil, as well as a ton of fine white feeder roots, so very happy with it’s progress.
Image
23-1-13_before trim