This cutting started out at 100mm or 4 inches in diameter and about 16 inches or 400mm long. Basically the base of a large branch from a tree at the end of our driveway. Curious to see if it would strike roots and whether it might make an interesting bonsai one day. Well, that was a little under a year ago and here is its progress so far.
The cutting has grown like crazy this summer and I had to remove and rewire it twice throughout the season. I cut all the wire off it about 6 weeks ago and thought I’d leave it a while before I wired it for a third time. The new trunkline started to develop a right angle about mid way up which freaked me out a bit so I thought I better sort this out while I could still bend it back into the right shape. I took 2 x 6mm wires to do it but it was successful. I was going to leave it at that, but I got into a bit of a zen wiring mode, and before I knew it, I had rewired the whole tree again for a third time and had the carving tools out to get rid of that big square chop and start blending the trunkline and taper.
Progression so far has been pretty good for literally one season in training I think.
First styling 16-5-12