Juniper tray planting

October 2012
Here is a tray planting I’ve been putting off for many years, and finally the planets aligned and I got into it 2 days ago.
I’ve had this piece of Mallee root for a very long time…. purchased it off Dot Koreshoff probably 20+ yrs ago, maybe more. I had initially intended to plant a few little figs on it, but never followed through with it. Then thought maybe a couple of small Shimpaku or similar….┬áThen thought of a single tree……Finding the right stock plant was the biggest problem, but eventually found this one from Chris @ Red Dragon a couple of months ago. Beautiful stock!
The tree is not planted on the root or in any crevices, but positioned right up against it and attached at the back with small brads and the roots growing down into the soil mix as usual. Since moving up here, I’ve not had much success keeping rock plantings (where roots are completely encased in muck only….and not down into a good amount of soil in the pot) due to our pretty hot summers and hot drying winds. They just dried out far too quick and I could never keep up with the watering (up to 6 times a day) and lost every one I attempted, so I’ve gone for this method which should work out fine. Maybe it could be classified as Tanuki or a Phoenix Graft if we’re to get super technical, but I’m happy with the term Tray planting.Mallee Root….this piece of wood is literally hard as a rock. It’s been out in the weather the entire time I’ve had it without a drop of preservative applied, and it has not decayed a bit.

Mallee root 11” x 11”

photo1_2012-09-26

Before styling

before-7

Front view

JapaneseJuniperTrayplanting-front-26912

Rear view

JapaneseJuniperTrayplanting-back-26912

UPDATE Pics

January 2013

January 2013

November 4th 2013

November 4th 2013

Advertisements

Large Juniper Procumbens

March,2012.

This is a Procumbens i had in the ground for about 10 or so years. Been in the plastic tub for about 2 years re establishing vigor since the transplant. Finally after staring at this mass of foliage long enough I started to slowly but surely thin out and select what stayed and what went. It has every single branch wired on the tree and took nearly 3 full days…. I wont repot until Spring, so sorry I can’t show it finished in its final pot. Sorry about the picture quality as they were just done with my iPhone.

Juniper1

front view

front view

back view

back view

This Juniper just started to burst bud yesterday, so took on the 2 man job with just myself of repotting this big guy. Certainly the biggest tree I’ve potted myself and certainly could have done with another set of hands. After I winched it up from a beam in my potting shed, I managed to remove about 80% of the old red soil without too much root disturbance. 3/4 filled a brickies barrow, (so that’s why it was so damn heavy) with the soil and then was able to lift it off the hooks and see it in the pot for angles and depth. After an hour of careful placement of all the roots…. I kept ALL the roots intact, and wired the rootball firmly into the pot and started working soil mix in everywhere until firm and full. The pot has plenty of room for more root growth and it should go on from strength to strength now it’s out of straight soil and into a good free draining mix.

Finally potted September 1st, 2012

Finally potted September 1st, 2012

Updated pic 12-12-12

Updated pic 12-12-12